Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Update

Just a quick update to let you all know that we're still alive. We haven't posted for a few days because we both got a pretty bad cold, and we were concentrating more on sipping chicken noodle soup than writing blog entries.

Shayne got the cold first (probably from some eight year old coughing on him in class...why do kids never cover their mouths?), but I was winning the battle until that wild Ulsan foreigners pub took me out. There was enough smoke hovering in that room to put a hive of bees to sleep, and it completely broke down my immune system. By the end of the night my throat was raw, my eyes were burning, my head hurt, and I wasn't even drunk. By the next morning I had a stuffy nose with aches and pains to boot.

I managed to go to work on the Monday, but that too took it's toll and I was forced to take a sick day yesterday (only four left now, here's hoping I don't get the bird flu). With the help of some homemade curry sent home by our boss, a full roll of toilet paper, and a lot of sleep, I was doing much better by this morning (Shayne's note - It was like a scene from the Exorcist. I kept waiting for her head to spin around and shoot out green vomit). Right now Shayne and I only have a bit of a cough and the sniffles. We wanna' send a shout out to all of the people who prayed for our recovery. Thanks again Harman.

Anyways, if that little drama didn't rivet you, we should have some more interesting things coming up to post about. We're planning weekend trips to Seoul and Busan pretty soon - half because we feel foolish having not explored the rest of Korea yet, and half because Ulsan offers nothing interesting enough to send home as Christmas gifts...unless you like golden pigs (and really, who doesn't?).

Also, in a couple of weeks Shayne and I will be heading up a weekend "English Camp" which is basically us feeding and supervising 10 unruly Korean students overnight at our boss's holiday apartment. I have this sinking feeling that karma is about to catch up with me, and I will be punished for all those times at Brownie Camp when I convinced the other little girls that axe murderers were hiding in the woods (causing innumerable nightmares that the adults had to deal with). Sigh. At least we get overtime.

Jo

3 comments:

Olly Dolly said...

I hope you two feel better soon!

Shayne, you should know that Stella gave me a deal on your soci-stats book ($50). We figured you couldn't put up that much of a fight. Ha!

Joanna said...

I just booked a flight Olly. You, me, and Stella need to have a little conversation. I wan't my money. Money Money Money. To be honest, I forgot that I even had books at the Students' Union.

Hopefully you do better in the class than I did.

Cheers

Shayne

P.S - don't worry mom we will definitely do a big blog on it.

Jason Harman said...

Is there some kind of attempt - a la the much celebrated poutine marathon - to mention "Harman" in every blog post? If not there should be.

Should look-up ol'Soon Tae if you go to Seoul. Great guy, would let you stay at his place for free (save you a bunch I'm sure) and take you around. Having a local as a guide is so much better than a Lonely Planet. Plus he speaks great English. I'll give you his email if you've lost it.

Jason