Friday, March 30, 2007

Another one bites the dust.

Greetings

Sadly I have to report that we still haven't managed to find a cure for cancer or an end to the world's poverty, but we did manage to finish another Star Trek series. That's right baby, we came, we saw, and saw, and saw again, and conquered the beast that is known only as Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

After 130 hours, or if you prefer 5.4 days, we've finally finished watching every episode of the show and we did so following the consecutive order that they were originally broadcast in. I know to many of you this makes us sound like we're even bigger nerds than you thought before, but in our defense Star Trek really is that damn good. Nobody is more surprised about this than I. Before coming to Ulsan I had never watched an episode of Deep Space Nine and wouldn't have known Captain Sisko from Quark (shame on you if you still don't know the difference).

It must be something in the Korean water that leads people to have a Star Trek epiphany.


(Ahhh, the family. I don't care what Todd thinks, Avery is a fine actor)


I just checked and we posted the last blog about Star Trek on the 11th of January. That means we watched all of Deep Space Nine in less than three months. A monumental task if I do say so myself. Combine that with the 133 hours we spent on Star Trek: The Next Generation and you really get one of those "dear god, how I've wasted my life" moments.

Now, to answer the question you're all dying to know, "what show did we like better"? We're a split house on the matter. Jo's remains a bigger fan of Next Gen but I think I have to go with Deep Space Nine. It had better character development, cooler storylines, better enemies, and a shape shifter. You just can't beat shape shifters.

That being said I think we're done with television for a while. It's time to get some reading done before we head home. Anyone have any good Star Trek novels they can send me?

Cheers

Shayne

1 comment:

Jason Harman said...

Hard call indeed. I might go with DS9 overall too, for dealing with a darker universe that required a lot more compromise and complicity than on the Enterprise. Still, Picard and Data are better characters than anyone on DS9. And the utopian and diplomatic universe of TNG will always be something to aspire to...

And enough with this reading BS. You two should be moving onto Battlestar Galactica that I sent you. Then let me know how that fares vis-a-vis Star Trek.