Friday, November 03, 2006

No...Not the Scream Mask...NOOOOOOOOOO

Greetings

After weeks of Halloween wordsearches, crossword puzzles, lesson plans, and games, the big day finally arrived.

Jo and I tried hard to bring Halloween to Korea by promising that any child who showed up in a costume would receive copious amounts of confectionary delights (of course not in those words. It was more like - scary clothes....candy....scary clothes....candy...repeat 500 times)

We weren't sure how many children would actually take us up on our offer since the number of costumes for sale was limited and the children aren't exactly rolling in cash. We said that anything that was unusual would count as a costume. Meaning that if children showed up in traditional Korean clothing or even wearing a bag on their head we would accept their offerings as genuine Halloween apparel.


Proving that Halloween is more for adults than children, here's a picture of myself with our Korean coworker Sunjun. I think that both of us had a hard time teaching when scaring the children was so much more fun than teaching them about indefinite articles.

Here's a pic of Joanna playing the role of Martha Stewart (sans the handcuffs). Thank god for Jo, that's all I can say. Without her know-how when it comes to crafts I would have been screwed. I probably would have just given the kids some spoons and paste and told them to go nuts. Thankfully Jo organized pumpkin making lessons instead.

Anyway enough of boring old us. Let's get to the children and their "Korean" costumes.


Here's Seung Yeung, one of my favorite students. I'm not exactly sure what she is supposed to be. I think she's a cross between the devil and Dog the Bounty Hunter after a bar fight. The kid beside her is pretending to be a patient on Ridilin.

It seems that costumes available were limited to three types: 1) the mask from scream 2) the devil horns as modeled by Jo and 3) witch hats.

Here's little Ji Hwan rocking the scream mask in true Korean fashion. He's actually holding a real blade in his hand. Haha, that could never happen in Canada but it really added some realism to the costume. You can bet that I didn't punish him that day.

Speaking of things you just wouldn't see back home. The students below all have real NunChucks. I know that they're real because I almost killed myself showing the children how skilled I am at martial arts.

(Please don't kill me)

Haha when I said the costumes were limited I wasn't kidding. Check out this class. Four out of the six students came wearing the scream masks.


This class was a little more creative. These four girls are wearing traditional Korean clothing and they didn't understand why I said they would count as Halloween costumes. In Korea they are standard fare for the holidays and fancy events. For us Waygooks they seemed pretty cool though and worthy of a Hershey bar or two.

Here's a picture of what happens when you let children draw whatever they want. Haha, the board started out with a small picture or two of Dracula penned by Jo and myself. By the end of the day the board was host to every crazy Halloween image possible.


Ahh Halloween, you gotta' love it. We should have posted this a few days earlier but I was sick and Jo was lazy. So here you are. Happy belated Halloween.

We are now off to another English Camp which will definitely deserve a blog.

See you then

Cheers

Shayne

1 comment:

Jason Harman said...

Another cute story. Am afraid for what you'll be like when you return. All kids and no play will make Shayne a dull boy.

Think Jo needs to put a little more effort into her costume and a little less time into making perfect paper pumpkins.