Thursday, January 11, 2007

Coming out of the closet

Greetings

My father and his partner are in Korea for the next week so posting will be pretty sparse until they're gone. That being said it's late at night and everyone's asleep so I thought I would post a short anecdote about our life over here.

Right before we left for Asia my friend Jason gave Jo and I a whole slew (yes, a slew) of DVDs that included (among other things) every season of Star Trek: The Next Generation (ST:TNG). Before receiving the DVDs I had probably only seen ST:TNG handful of times and wouldn't have been able to tell you the difference between a Klingon and a Romulan (haha, I was so naive).

But upon moving here and finding out that the Koreans don't care much for English movies, we were forced to drop our one-movie-a-week addiction that we had back in Canada and take up Star Trek instead.

It's hard for me to admit this but...yes...Korea has turned us into Trekkies. We don't own any costumes (yet) and we haven't been to a convention (yet), but I can tell you who played the Doctor in the second season (Diana Muldaur) or who was the only person to play themselves in the series (Stephen Hawking).

(Our new family)

Since August 1st Joanna and I have watched every single episode of ST:TNG. That's right, all 178 episodes and all seven years' worth.

My rudimentary math skills show me that we've wasted over 178 hours on the show or 7.25 days. Damn, that's a lot of time when you look at it that way. It seems to me that I guess we could have used our time better. We could have...

...spent the seven days trying to cure cancer. Or at the very least we could have spent the seven days trying to find a cure for kimchi breath.

Of course, we also could have...

...built the world's biggest lobster in our backward. Who doesn't love a big lobster?

No really, who?

Come on tell me!

Please, just tell me!

Alright, alright. I can see that you're not gonna crack.

Anyway, we may have spent the last six months watching every single episode of ST:TNG (in order too) but I have no regrets. You know why?

Because of this:


Or as the Koreans say Gu-nyoung (just because).

Because I'm a Trekkie and I'm proud.

God bless Star Trek.

Cheers

Shayne

P.S - This post is dedicated to Jason Harman who made this whole thing possible.

6 comments:

Jason Harman said...

Oh God, I've unleashed a nightmare. I'm so sorry, forgive me all.

In retrospect I guess I shouldn't have given you all seven seasons of DS9.... oh well, no cure for cancer this year.

Adamo said...

Hey, That's a great shot of the giant lobster. I've been there. That's to say, I've been to the one in Australia. Is there one in Canada too?

Joanna said...

Haha, I actually had no idea where that picture was taken. I just found the idea of a giant lobster to be funny and googled it. Sure enough, someone had taken the time to create one. So its Australian eh? Well, on behalf of all of Canada let me just say good work.

Cheers

Shayne

Unknown said...

Good gravy, you gave them DS9? I hated that series. I just couldn't get past Avery Brooks' acting (aka Capt. Sisko). He was just so lacking in emotional range for me that I couldn't focus on what could have been many other redeeming aspects of the show.
Oh well, I guess we'll see what S+J feel about this in about 132 hours... true trekkies would marathon it.

Jean-Luc said...

Computer! Tea; Earl Grey; hot!

Joanna said...

Todd, Todd, Todd

I can't believe you don't have love for the captain. You will never be voted king of the trekies with that attitude.

Who the hell created the Jean Luc account? One of you went through a lot of work to post here. Come forward good sir (or madam) and claim your rightful place in history.